Keeping Kids on Track Fun Run
KKOT Results at tomato timing ->
The KEEPING KIDS ON TRACK Funrun is BACK in 2015!! With planning well underway already!
Following on from it’s beginnings in 2012 with 170 competitors, to just shy of 600 last year, we are excited to announce the date for this event in 2015 – SATURDAY MARCH 14 – put it in your diary NOW!!
Join us in Kilcunda, with your family and friends to enjoy as little as a family-friendly leisurely stroll, or challenge yourself with a longer run, (3km, 5km, 10km, 15km, 21.1km), all the while experiencing the breath-taking views along the Kilcunda-Wonthaggi Rail Trail.This fun run has been created to give an awareness of the spectacular Rail Trail between Kilcunda and Wonthaggi, and the stunning features along its path within the Bass Coast Shire, including the pristine waters, the rugged coastline, the Desalination Plant and the Wind Towers.
The Bass Coast Barracudas Triathlon Club in conjunction with other local groups have endeavoured to create an event which includes competitors of various ages and abilities by offering various distances, and we encourage participation from both locals and visitors alike. If competing is not your ‘thing’, we would still love to hear from you if you would like to volunteer on the day! We are excited to announce that MAGNUS MICHELSSON will again be our event ambassador in 2015. Magnus inspired many last year with his inspirational pep-talk before the events began, with his win in the half-marathon, and with his impressive resume – he is a two-time Melbourne Marathon Winner, as well as winner of many other running and triathlon events.
The funrun is a fundraising event in memory of Leslie McKay, a highly regarded mentor of youth and a fine advocate for reaching beyond our boundaries. Leslie herself was an avid runner, remembering her efforts in a Half Marathon and her passion to continue despite obstacles was an inspiration to create an event with the emphasis on FUN!!
Leslie was also heavily involved in the nurturing of our youth and education and would support the funds from this memorial event to be put back into the youth and education.
The event has evolved to become a family-fun festival, including musical entertainment, various stalls, sporting clubs represented and activities for the kids. If you are interested in becoming involved please contact Deb or Louise (see below).
Each year this event has also made a donation of $1,000.00 to the locally founded KONGOR SCHOOL SUPPORT GROUP – a charity established 3 years ago by Felicia Di Stefano to rebuild a primary school in South Sudan. This is an on-going community project which we are proud to support and will continue to support in 2015. Numerous other donations have been made to local clubs that promote healthy lifestyle and sport to children of the Bass Coast. Information on these donations and photo presentations will be added to this page shortly.
The ‘Keeping Kids On Track’ Fun Run will continue for many years to come. So let’s get this event out there, let’s make Leslie and many like her proud. Even if you are not a runner, it might be time to step outside your comfort zone, have a crack and ‘Keep Kid’s On Track’!
See FACEBOOK PAGE for updates also: Keeping KIDS on TRACK.
Louise: 0421969360; Deb: 0409945559.
Frequently Asked Questions
- The start / finish line are in the same location, so no need for transport back to starting location.
- You receive your t-shirt/singlet and event bag ON THE DAY. Nothing is mailed out before the event.
- Toilets are located at the event site (start/finish line) and there is one at the 1.5km turn-around.
- Registration and start / finish line are in Kilcunda, in the foreshore carpark (opposite the Kilcunda pub, on the Bass Hwy).
- The 15km & 21.1km – first 4 km is quite undulating, along the cliff tops, with phenomenal views of the coast line. After this, the next 17km are reasonably flat with a slight uphill push to the finish line.
- It is run on a rail trail (sandy /gravel path, approximately 3 metres wide), all off-road.
- Drink stations will be set-up every 2.5 kilometres, with water at all stations, gels and electrolyte drinks at drink stations for the 15 & 21.1km athletes (at approx.. 9km, 11km & 16km).
- Start times are: 21.1km & 15km : 8.30am ; all other distances commencing on or after 9am. Please arrive in plenty of time to pick up event bag, timing band, confirm registration, attend race briefing.
- Don’t forget sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, change of clothes, etc.
- Entertainment is provided at the finish line, heaps of give-aways, market stalls, park for the kids, and local sporting clubs are represented, so bring your family and friends (and bathers if it is a warm day) and enjoy the festive atmosphere after your race! Food can be purchased at the event, or at the café and hotel directly across the road.
- For More Info Email to email@example.com
Invalid Displayed Gallery